|"Those Things Hidden in Plain Sight"|
|Season 6, Episode 02|
|Air date||November 18, 2020|
|Written by||Stephen Hootstein & Daniel Sinclair|
|Directed by||John Polson|
"When Did We Begin to Change"
Do You Know the Way Home?
Goodwin announces a new ED Chief and the choice doesn’t make everyone happy. Dr. Manning takes a stand for her patient and finds herself dealing with the repercussions. Dr. Charles tends to family matters.
- Brian Tee as Dr. Ethan Choi
- Marlyne Barrett as Maggie Lockwood
- Nick Gehlfuss as Dr. Will Halstead
- Oliver Platt as Dr. Daniel Charles
- S. Epatha Merkerson as Sharon Goodwin
- Torrey DeVitto as Dr. Natalie Manning
- Yaya DaCosta as Nurse April Sexton
- Dominic Rains as Dr. Crockett Marcel
- Tehmina Sunny as Dr. Sabeena Virani
- Brennan Brown as Dr. Sam Abrams
- Hannah Alligood as Anna Charles
- Jill Abramovitz as Susan Charles
- Marc Grapey as Peter Kalmick
- Lorena Diaz as Nurse Doris
- Sarah Brooks as Paramedic Juliette
- C. Anthony Jackson as Security Guard Earl
- Michael Vaugn Shaw as X-ray Tech Mike
- Danielle Moné Truitt as Dr. Angela Douglas
This episode continues to highlight the difficulties associated with the coronavirus pandemic, as well as unfair aspects of the U.S. criminal justice and penal systems:
- Low-income families being forced to continue working, despite the risk of contracting COVID-19;
- People being labeled "violent offenders" for relatively minor offenses, such as shoving a police officer during an arrest;
- Poor medical care and record keeping in penal facilities;
- Pregnant women being separated from their babies upon returning to jail after giving birth;
- The backlog of court cases being exacerbated by the pandemic.
- A man named Jerome Kirk is brought in after a car accident and is treated for air in his brain (pneumocephaly);
- A woman named Yesenia Cruz who is also suffering from cardiomyopathy is treated for COVID-19 but quickly deteriorates and passes away;
- A 24-year-old Cook County Jail inmate named Aisha Barnes who is 37 weeks pregnant is treated for eclampsia and delivers via C-section;
- Yesenia's Mother Alejandra is brought in, also having contracted the virus.