|"Never Going Back to Normal"|
|Season 5, Episode 01|
|Air date||September 25, 2019|
|Written by||Diane Frolov & Andrew Schneider|
|Directed by||Michael Pressman|
"With A Brave Heart"
"We're Lost in the Dark"
Will and Natalie battle for their lives after a car accident; an investigation is launched following the suspicious death of Cornelius Rhodes; Maggie receives life-changing news; Dr. Charles cuts his honeymoon short to tend to a patient and his grandmother.
- Brian Tee as Dr. Ethan Choi
- Colin Donnell as Dr. Connor Rhodes
- Dominic Rains as Dr. Crockett Marcel
- Marlyne Barrett as Maggie Lockwood
- Nick Gehlfuss as Dr. Will Halstead
- Norma Kuhling as Dr. Ava Bekker
- Oliver Platt as Dr. Daniel Charles
- S. Epatha Merkerson as Sharon Goodwin
- Torrey DeVitto as Dr. Natalie Manning
- Yaya DaCosta as Nurse April Sexton
- Natalie and Will are treated for injuries sustained when they were attacked in Will's car by Tim Burke. Will only has relatively minor wounds, but Natalie has suffered a traumatic brain injury;
- Tim Burke is treated for his wounds sustained while attacking Will and Natalie;
- A teenager named Cameron Geddes is treated for schizophrenia;
- A young boy named Thomas Donovan is treated for loss of vision due to a brain abnormality brought on by hypothyroidism.