|"Infection: Part II"|
|Season 5, Episode 04|
|Air date||October 16, 2019|
|Story by||Dick Wolf & Derek Haas|
|Teleplay by||Diane Frolov & Andrew Schneider|
|Directed by||Michael Pressman|
"In the Valley of the Shadows"
"Got a Friend in Me"
The entire population of an apartment complex is forced into quarantine when multiple cases of the flesh-eating bacteria are discovered. The Chicago P.D. Intelligence Unit chases a lead that could point to a case of bioterrorism, while multiple patients succumb to the disease. Dr. Halstead works closely with a representative from the CDC and doctors from the involved university lab, putting him dangerously close to the suspect. Meanwhile, Sharon Goodwin deals with the press.
- Brian Tee as Dr. Ethan Choi
- Marlyne Barrett as Maggie Lockwood
- Nick Gehlfuss as Dr. Will Halstead
- Oliver Platt as Dr. Daniel Charles
- S. Epatha Merkerson as Sharon Goodwin
- Torrey DeVitto as Dr. Natalie Manning
- Yaya DaCosta as Nurse April Sexton
- Dominic Rains as Dr. Crockett Marcel
The episode highlights multiple aspects of a mass panic induced by an infectious disease outbreak:
- The way panic spreads throughout a population as news spreads;
- Sensationalist coverage by news media;
- Conspiracy theories;
- People with immigrant backgrounds being blamed for the spread of disease;
- Tensions between public health and financial and PR considerations.
Many patients are surgically treated in an attempt to remove infected tissue, with multiple patients succumbing. One patient is saved by amputating an infected arm.
Notes and Trivia
- The samples of the flesh-eating bacteria are said to require the highest level (level 4) of biomedical security, but the characters are seen handling them without any protective gear. Similarly, Dr. Marcel is seen wiping his face with a hand covered in blood from a patient who has just died of the bacteria.